Friday, November 26, 2010

Conversation Starters

We are starting our Christmas celebrations early this year. This Sunday {yes, the Sunday after Thanksgiving} we are having some long-time family friends over to our house for dinner and gift giving. I made some decorative fabric, ribbon and flower elements to put on place cards. But, instead of writing names I wrote questions. {which is kind of funny to me, b/c we have been close friends with this family since before I was born, and conversation is never a problem}
 I went through all my fabric scraps and used anything that had red and green in it. Some of the fabric I used was left over from the curtains I made for my 5 year old's room when she was born. Next, I raided my ribbon stash to see what I had in the red, green or white category. I used cardstock, paper & felt flowers and even some gems. {Out of the 12 of us, there will be only 3 men and instead of making them flowers I made them VERY manly bowties}

After all the pieces were glued together I adhered a 2" round circle of cardstock to the back leaving the outside edge of the circle un-glued. I cut a slit in the front of the placecard so I could put the bottom part of the back-side circle through. {make sense? I hope the picture can explain it better}

Then I added questions like
What would be your dream job if money was of no concern?
What was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid?
Where in the world would you like to travel? Live?
Have you ever kept a New Year's resolution? What was it?

There will be 4 kiddos between 2-9 years old, all girls, and I made theirs into tags attached to swirly pops. There questions are more like this:
Would you rather be a Rock Star or Movie Star? Why?
Would you rather be a Princess or a Fairy? Which one?
If you could have any animal as a pet what would it be? What would you name it?
 I plan on making any that are left behind into ornaments or perhaps add them to a wreath?

No comments:

Post a Comment